This Week in Podcasts a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below, in my asks on tumblr, or on twitter.
This week, I also had a very patriotic Fourth of July list, posted a review for the Stolen Century arc of The Adventure Zone, and gave a top 10 list of tips for fiction podcasts/audio dramas. In reviews, though, this week was surprisingly lackluster.
“265- The Pool and the Stream”
This week’s 99% Invisible felt like the show epitomized. The episode takes an in-depth look at something that most wouldn’t think worthy of research: the curved shape of LA’s swimming pools. Not only is the investigation behind the shape a riveting dive through design history, it also weaves together so many stories, giving an ultimately cyclical nature. The content, here, matches the actual design they discuss: round, deep, asymmetrical but balanced. 99% Invisible has a tendency of choosing topics that, no matter the enthusiasm brought by the hosts, can genuinely be boring. This week’s show, though, is exactly why it’s worth getting through episodes like those to find gems like these.
“5: Two Years Before the Hatch”
I won’t take too long on this review, because honestly, I don’t know who would benefit from a takedown of an indie show. The long and short is that I’ve tried each episode to love this show but found myself unable to get through a full episode. A good deal of this is the writing, but this is primarily due to the production work. I’ll be unsubscribing, but I’ve decided not to post a full review. I don’t have an interest in tearing down an indie show.
This Week’s Ratings
- This American Life, “#619: The Magic Show”: C-
- The Sporkful, “You Can’t Cure Manic Depression With Puff Pastry”: C
- The Penumbra Podcast, “2.08: Juno Steel and the Dragon’s Den (Part 1)”: B
- Left Trigger Right Trigger, “Revolution”: C
- Under Pressure, “5: Two Years Before the Hatch”: D
- The Far Meridian, “1.4 Prayer”: C+
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Season 2, Ep 16 – Tom the Girlfriend”: B-
- The Hilarious World of Depression, “PLACEBO: The Things We Tell Ourselves That Help”: B-
- Code Switch, “The Supreme Court Decides In Favor Of a Racial Slur . . . Now What?”: B
- Note to Self, “When Was the Last Time You Peed Without Your Phone?”: C+
- Myths and Legends, “74-Japanese Folklore: Do You Really Want to Live Forever?”: C
- 99% Invisible, “265- The Pool and the Stream”: A
- The Moth, “On the Line: Jami Bernat-Frye Cates & Samuel Leighton-Dore”: B
- Join the Party, “Wedding Party IV”: B
- Beautiful Stories from Anonymous Strangers, “68. Married the Day We Met”: B
- Song Exploder, “Goapele – Stand”: B-
- Spirits, “Episode 38: Swedish Arsgang (Year Walk) with Soha”: B-
- Join the Party, “Wedding Party IV: Afterparty”: B+
- Potterless, “Ep. 19 – Golbet of Fire Ch. 23 w/ Vanessa Zoltan and Rosianna Halse Rojas”: B
- Grammar Girl, “576 GG Critique or Criticize? Games Like Pig Latin”: C
- Snap Judgment, “Snap #708 – Can’t Hold Me Down”: C-
- Ask Me Another, “Roy Wood Jr.: Puzzle Banger After Banger”: C+
- Nothing of note this Saturday. I did download Inkwyrm and The Gray Area for upcoming listening, though.