This Week in Podcasts is a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! You can see my current list of podcast subscriptions here. Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below or on twitter. You can see a list of every episode that has scored within the A range here.
Please note that there will not be a This Week in Podcasts or newsletter next Sunday (9/23/18).
What’s the Frequency?
“12. 39.17 Mhz”
This week, long-time favorite What’s the Frequency closed out its first season in an hour-and-change long episode that, in true What’s the Frequency fashion, breaks all norms for the audio fiction medium. The episode blends bringing light to the plot threads and taking journeys through lush, experimental expanses of texture and design. It’s a season finale that demands absolute attention and rewards careful listeners with a soundscape that is truly immersive and unlike anything else. It’s an hour that is entirely transportive and strange, but never feels navel-gazing or obnoxious. The most shocking thing about the episode isn’t its ability to play with perceptions of reality, but the hefty emotional climax that pits one beloved character against another. It’s a scene that hearkens back to some of the most stirring moments in Twin Peaks, and leaves the listener on the edge of a cliff, sobbing.
This Week’s Ratings
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Season 2, Ep 76 – Activia’s Quest”: B-
- The Hilarious World of Depression, “Mortified’s Dave Nadelberg Presents Your Shame Live on Stage”: B
- Those Happy Places, “Episode 15: The Jungle Cruise, Comedy and Colonialism”: B
- The Far Meridian, “2.2 Take Flight”: B
- Potterless, “Ep. 50 – Half-Blood Prince Ch. 20 w/ Meghan Fruehauf”: B
- My Brother, My Brother and Me, “MBMBaM 424: The Fly-Swallow YouTube Challenge”: B-
- Song Salad, “Ep. 126 – The Builder’s Bones Blues”: B
- Violet Beach, “(ruby slippers)”: B-
- Terrible, Thanks for Asking, “47: Nathan”: B+
- The Good Place: The Podcast, “Ch. 23: Manny Jacinto, Actor | Tyler Straessle, Writer | Tom Zawacki, Props”: C+
- The Big Loop, “Smoke”: B
- Everything is Alive, “Ana, Elevator”: B+
- Join the Party, “33. Labor Party III”: B
- The McElroys Will Be in Trolls 2, “Chapter 6”: B+
- 99% Invisible, “323- The House That Came in the Mail”: B
- What’s the Frequency?, “12. 39.17 Mhz”: A+
- Wolverine: The Long Night, “Chapter 1: A Thousand Ways to Die in Alaska”: B+
- Wolverine: The Long Night, “Chapter 2: Goodnight Nobody”: B
- 20 Sided Stories, “POKEMON #7 – The Curse of Lavender Town”: B
- Spirits, “Episode 94: Your Urban Legends XIII: Mostly Outtakes Really”: B
- Join the Party, “Afterparty: Labor Party III”: B-
- Wonderful!, “Ep. 50: Perfect Porridge”: B
- Solutions to Problems, “Mini Ep. 2 – Janet’s Voicemails”: B
- Pop Culture Happy Hour, “On the Books: An All-Book Edition”: C+
- The Good Place: The Podcast, “Ch. 24: David Miller, Director of Photography | Kim Wannop, Set Decorator”: B
- Pairing, “Thor (with Julia Schifni)”: B-
- Kaleidotrope, “Episode 7”: B-
- Girl in Space, “111: We Are Everything, We Are Nothing”: B-
- The End of Time and Other Bothers, “12: Journey to the Temple, Part 5”: B
These weekly roundups are some of my favorite to write, but they’re also some of the most exhausting posts to write. Keeping up with all these podcasts is time consuming! These posts are brought to you with deep thanks to my Patreon supporters and people who have supported me via Ko-Fi. Becoming a supporter will get you access to my planning blog, customized podcast playlists, and the ability to request reviews for podcasts you love. Find out more here!