This Week in Podcasts is a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! You can see my current list of podcast subscriptions here. Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below or on twitter.
This week, Wooden Overcoats returned for its third season and the Love and Luck season 2 Kickstarter reached its goal. The hashtag #AudioOnIMDB, started by The Bright Sessions‘s Briggon Snow, gained steam as podcast fans and creators asked IMDB.com for a podcast category. I also wrote up a list of podcasts I’ve used for inspiration as a DM/GM/Keeper in my myriad tabletop RPGs.
Don’t forget to sign up for the Podcast Problems newsletter for weekly recommendations, news, musings, and more!
“Season 3 Episode 1: The Loneliness of Rudyard Funn”
Wooden Overcoats has returned for its third season with a surprisingly somber, introspective episode. You can read my full review of the episode here.
At the Table
“Losing My Religion by Hannah C. Langley”
This week’s episodes of At the Table, the play-reading podcast series, featured a timely play by USC MFA candidate Hannah C. Langley about two political opposites competing over Twitter. I’ve written about At the Table before, and these episodes are some of the best the podcast has done yet. The performances are genuine, bringing what might otherwise sound like hyperbolic characters into a grounded reality. The sound design is immersive as always, adding just the right amount of scene-setting without being overwhelming. The play is politically uncomfortable, in the same way that shows like Conversations with People Who Hate Me are uncomfortable: in a way that feels important.
This Week’s Ratings
- The Sporkful, “No Murder. Yes Porkchops. Says Comic Negin Farsad”: B
- The Cryptid Keeper, “Episode 47-J’ba Fofi”: C+
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Season 2, Ep 48 – Eunuch Tutor”: C+
- Hannah and Matt Know It All, “Hannah and Matt Crush on You”: B
- My Brother, My Brother and Me, “MBMBaM 394: Face 2 Face: I Fritos Hard”: C
- The Splendid Table, “All About Fondue”: B-
- Radiolab, “The Curious Case of the Russian Flash Mob at the West Palm Beach Cheesecake Factory”: B
- Love and Luck, “Episode 25 – Victor’s Dad”: B
- Pop Culture Happy Hour, “Queer Eye”: C+
- Code Switch, “Throw Some Respeck on My Name”: B
- At the Table, “Ep. 22 – Losing My Religion by Hannah Langley (Part 1)” and “Ep. 23 – Losing My Religion by Hannah Langley (Part 2)”: B+
- Unmapped, “#9 – She Just F****ing Moved to India”: B-
- Spirits, “Episode 65: Inanna”: B
- The Phenomenon, “The Shards and the Tall Ones”: C
- Making Obama, “Obama 3: You Don’t Say No to Barack”: B
- Wooden Overcoats, “Season 3 Episode 1: The Loneliness of Rudyard Funn”: B+
- Wonderful!, “Ep. 23: Eatin’ all the Takis”: B-
- The Adventure Zone, “Setup – The Adventure Zone: Dust”: B-
- Pop Culture Happy Hour, “Annihilation and What’s Making Us Happy”: B
- The Splendid Table, “651: Eating in the Instagram Era”: C+
- Bite, “50 – The Year’s Best Movies are Secretly About Food”: B
- The Allusionist, “73. Supername!”: B