This Week in Podcasts a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below, in my asks on tumblr, or on twitter.
This week, I wrote a First Impressions review for the wonderful Station to Station. I also finally listed every single podcast I’m currently subscribed to, complete with links and descriptions. PodCon released its full agenda, and I’m very happy to say you can find me volunteering at the event! There were also no podcasts that were especially disappointing this week, so there won’t be any pitfalls in this roundup.
And hey, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter!
The Far Meridian
The Far Meridian is a show I’ve been admittedly slow to warm on. I think this is maybe due to my absolute adoration of ars PARADOXICA; maybe I expected this show to be similarly exciting or suspenseful, which isn’t fair to a show that is pointedly contemplative. Regardless, this is the episode where The Far Meridian finally became very exciting for me. In this episode, Peri meets a character who she’ll be able to play off of for some time, and I’m excited to see how her character evolves from this point. As always, this show has beautiful production and great acting–now, though, I feel like I might be able to really appreciate the character writing as much as I’ve been trying to.
“Episode 48: College Ghost Stories”
In this episode, hosts Julia and Amanda talk the ghosts of Kenyon College with Kenyon alumni and Our Fair City producer Jeffrey Gardner. There’s nothing quite like a college campus to spread some ghost stories–I know that my campus, which had three cemeteries, had plenty of its own–and the stories that come out of Kenyon are all interesting, bizarre, and genuinely terrifying. This episode is so much of what makes Spirits what it is. The hosts are skeptical but not disrespectful, focusing on the internal logic of each story instead of making them jokes or taking them too seriously. There’s a great mix of serious moments, actual scares, and, of course, laughs. The energy makes for minimal editing needed, or if there is substantial editing, it’s seamless. Spirits is the epitome of making a good conversation a good podcast.
This Week’s Ratings
- The Hilarious World of Depression, “Aimee Mann Discovers That Having Feelings About Terrible Things Is Perfectly Fine”: B-
- The Sporkful, “”As Hot Chicken Gets Hotter, Who Benefits?”: B
- The Once and Future Nerd, “Bridges, Pt. 2”: B
- The Cryptid Keeper, “Episode 31- Kushisake Onna (or, The Slit-Mouthed Woman)”: B
- The Penumbra Podcast, “2.15: Juno Steel and the Promised Land (Part 2)”: B
- Terrible, Thanks for Asking, “7: Unbroken (#metoo)”: B
- Snap Judgment, “Snap #825 – Spooked Presents “Sanctify””: C
- Snap Judgment Presents: Spooked, “Lost”: C+
- Radiolab Presents: More Perfect, “Enemy of Mankind”: B
- Potterless, “Ep. 27 – Order of the Phoenix Ch. 11-14 w/ Lauren Shippen”: B
- The Far Meridian, “1.10 Whitecaps”: B+
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Season 2, Ep 32 – Dark Lord’s Birthday Party”: B
- Code Switch, “‘They Can’t Just Be Average,’ Lifting Students Up Without Lowering the Bar”: B+
- Note to Self, “Where Do I Go Now?”: C+
- Myths and Legends, “87-Werewolves: The Lost”: C+
- 99% Invisible, “281- La Sagrada Familia”: B
- The Heart, “Darqness”: B-
- Earbud Theater, “After the Haunting Ep 5”: C+
- My Brother, My Brother and Me, “MBMBaM 377: Face 2 Face: One Great Potato!”: B
- Join the Party, “12. Pool Party I”: B+
- Beautiful Stories from Anonymous Strangers, “84. A True Crime Investigator”: B
- The Psych Central Show, “A Graphic (Novel) Twist on the Personal Recovery Story”: C+
- Snap Judgment Presents: Spooked, “Final Act”: C+
- Spirits, “Episode 28: College Ghost Stories”: B+
- ars PARADOXICA, “23: Contact”: B
- Join the Party, “Afterparty: Pool Party I”: B
- Heaven’s Gate, “2: The Two”: B
- Victoriocity, “The Lodging House”: B
- DCOMedy, “Bonus Episode 2: Sing to Me Paolo”: C
- Wonderful!, “Ep. 8: Candy Bones”: B
- Wolf 359, “Mission Mishaps: The Veldt”: C+
- Inkwyrm, “Episode Twelve: Point A to Point B”: C
- The Allusionist, “66. Open Me Part I”: B–