This Week in Podcasts is a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! You can see my current list of podcast subscriptions here. Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below or on twitter. You can see a list of every episode that has scored within the A range here.
As a reminder, there will not be a newsletter or This Week in Podcasts next week (1/20/19); I’ll be at PodCon! Will I see you there?
HORSE, “Ep. 14: Do You Have Any Sons?”
With two dozen episodes in the bag, HORSE continues epitomizing what fancasts should be. The hosts are knowledgeable, but more importantly, they’re hilarious and share such an infectiously enthusiastic, charismatic chemistry. What makes this episode–and HORSE as a whole–especially stand out is the use of editing to enhance jokes. After one especially silly pun, the hosts joke that their podcast is now done forever. The joke would have stood on its own perfectly fine, but the decision was made to add the ending theme song underneath for emphasis. Both the start and sharp end cut of the song are hilariously timed, and a perfectly thoughtful detail that shows the care given to this podcast.
This Week’s Ratings
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Arnie’s Birthday Bonus Scene”: B-
- HORSE, “Ep. 14: Do You Have Any Sons?”: A
- Potterless, “Ep. 59 – Deathly Hallows Ch. 3-4 w/ Amanda McLoughlin”: B
- Song Salad, “Ep 142 – Please Don’t Die, M’Dear – LIVE!”: B
- My Brother, My Brother and Me, “MBMBaM 441: In a New York Whoopsie”: B
- No Bad Ideas, “Episode 10: Poor Billy Bob Tough Guy”: B
- Darknet Diaries, “Stuxnet”: B-
- Love and Luck, “Episode 65 – The Tapes”: B
- Join the Party, “40. Hunting Party I”: B
- ARCS, “Meet the Party”: B
- 99% Invisible, “336- Mini Stories: Volume 6”: B
- Janus Descending, “Entry 10”: B+
- Janus Descending, “Entry 4”: B
- Shedunnit, “7. Edith Thompson”: C+
- Tides, “Mini Episode 5: Soft Rock”: B
- Beach Too Sandy, Water Too Wet, “7: Bridal Shops in Houston, TX”: C+
- Join the Party, “Afterparty: Hunting Party I”: B
- Han and Matt Know It All, “#102: Han and Matt Spotlight Jessica Weisberg”: B-
- Why’d You Push That Button, “Why Do You Use an Exclusive Dating App?”: C+
- Spirits, “111: The Benandanti”: B
- Wonderful!, “66: The Mallpisode”: C+
- Song Exploder, “Hozier – Nina Cried Power (feat. Mavis Staples)”: C
- ARCS, “The Calm Before, Part One”: B
- ARCS, “The Calm Before, Part Two”: B
- The Adventure Zone, “Amnesty – Episode 20”: B-
- The Good Place the Podcast, “Ch. 37: William Jackson Harper, Actor | Nicole Byer, Guest Star | Matt Quezada, Associate Producer”: B
- Kalila Stormfire’s Economical Magick Services, “The Initiate Files: Case Five”: B
- How It’s Paid, “029 – Jennifer Lopez – $100,000 On a Survivor Themed Birthday Party”: B-
- Those Happy Places, “Episode 23: Theme Parks, Permanence, and the Speed of Change”: B
- The End of Time and Other Bothers, “16: The Moon Mission”: B
- The Pack, “Episode 8 – The Trail”: B-
These weekly roundups are some of my favorite to write, but they’re also some of the most exhausting posts to write. Keeping up with all these podcasts is time consuming! These posts are brought to you with deep thanks to my Patreon supporters and people who have supported me via Ko-Fi. Becoming a supporter will get you access to my planning blog, customized podcast playlists, and the ability to request reviews for podcasts you love. Find out more here!
1 thought on “This Week in Podcasts: 1/6/19 – 1/12/19”
I have been listening to a podcast from the UK called Babblement – they’ve been going for a while and I’m really enjoying what they’re doing. It’s pretty funny and the hosts are both engaging – be really interested to hear what you think.