This Week in Podcasts a weekly roundup of mini-reviews of all of the podcasts I’ve listened to in a week. If you see any podcasts that you feel are missing from my list, there’s a good chance I haven’t listened to the show yet! Feel free to give me recommendations–as well as any feedback or discussion!–in the comments below, in my asks on tumblr, or on twitter.
There’s a few pieces of housekeeping I’d like to clear up before diving into this week’s reviews:
- Full disclosure on this week’s review: my terrible garbage phone has recently decided it no longer understands what headphones are, which means my podcast consumption has decreased significantly. While I tried to listen to as many independent podcasts I could instead of spending my limited time listening to NPR/PRX/etc. shows, I feel as though this week’s reviews weren’t as robust as I’d like, especially since I didn’t feel as though any show was a “highlight” or a “pitfall” from the shows I heard. I apologize for not having the coverage I usually do, and I hope to get a new phone within the next month or so.
- I am on a social media hiatus for August, which I do annually. Posting here is one of the few exceptions (does a WordPress count as social media, really?), so please be aware if you’re trying to reach me on tumblr, twitter, etc. I’ll respond as quickly as I can in September.
- I will also no longer be subscribing to or reviewing CoolGames Inc. unless there is any change in host, which is unlikely.
This week, Two-Up’s 36 Questions released its third and final episode. Paul Bae of The Black Tapes and Lauren Shippen of The Bright Sessions were both added as guests of PodCon.
This Week’s Ratings
- 36 Questions, “Act 3 of 3”: B
- The Once and Future Nerd, “#ASK THE ONCE AND FUTURE NERD for Bk. 2 Ch. 2”: B+
- Station to Station, “Supplementary Recording No. 3 – Jackie Simmons (Teaser #3)”: B
- Conversations with People Who Hate Me, “Episode 2: Hurt People Hurt People”: B+
- The Sporkful, “Your Mom’s Food Pt. 3: Soledad O’Brien Cooks Rice, Not Beans”: C+
- Wolf 359, “Episode 51: Shut Up and Listen”: B
- My Brother, My Brother and Me, “MBMBaM 366: Sorry, Todd”: B+
- Hello from the Magic Tavern, “Season 2, Ep 21 – Gnome”: C+
- Myths and Legends, “79-Odin: The War to Begin all Wars”: B+
- Join the Party, “Punch Bowl: Venture Maidens”: B
- The Kind Rewind, “TKR 15: Firefly, Season One, Ep 2-3”: C+
- Radiolab, “Truth Trolls”: B-
- Nothing of note